Unprocessed oatmeal is digested more slowly, which prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly while supplying your physical body with energy that it needs. Lentils and beans are great too. (Many people find this food hard to digest and produce lots of gas before their digestion systems are used to it) These nutritious food are rich in soluble fiber which delays the absorption of sugars and carbohydrates.
Eat vegetables that are not starchy.
Spinach, broccoli, green beans and many other green vegetables are a great example. These green vegetables are very low in carbohydrates. They do not contribute to the increase in blood sugar too much. At the same time, vegetables are rich in fiber content; they also have a cleaning effect. Lentils, oats, and nuts, are good, but too much of those carries bad effects and outcome.
Satisfy your guilty pleasure with strawberries.
Although sweet, strawberry is very low in carbohydrates, they do not increase blood sugar quickly. Strawberries also contain water, able to help you feel full for a little longer. You will be less tempted to eat other sweet foods after eating a few strawberries.
Drink more plain water.
Sugary Juice and Soda water will increase your blood sugar levels rapidly. Replacing it with plain water would be better. Isotonic drinks without sugar will reduce your sugar intake as well.
- Many drinks today are flavored, which makes them more attractive than water. But be careful with added sugar. Try adding strawberry, lemon or orange in your water to add flavor without adding sugar.
- Store water with fruit slices in the refrigerator. During hot weather, the water tastes refreshing and flavorful. Always fill it out and remove old slices of fruits and replace them with new ones every fortnight. Vary the flavors with other fruits such as apples, strawberries, or berries.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of plain water each day to make sure you keep hydrated.
- Beware when drinking fruit juice, because it may contain carbohydrates from natural sugar.
Sprinkle cinnamon on your food.
Many experts believe cinnamon has an effect of lowering blood sugar levels, especially for people diagnosed with diabetes. Test results have not yet been concluded, but many studies and research point towards it.
- Do not solely rely on cinnamon for instant solution. This should be considered in addition to other good suggestions above.
- Replace sugar or sweetener; make a hot beverage with honey, because of its low glycemic index.
Understand the importance of proper food in your diet.
This is the most important of all. It is easier for you to change your lifestyle and living habits if you understand the importance of eating proper and healthy food. Depending on how it is chosen, this can lead to a gradual increase in blood sugar or drastically instantly increase blood sugar (which should be avoided). However, the way your system reacts to food depends on the food you eat. Complex carbohydrates usually cause a gradual increase, where simple carbohydrates and sugars will cause a drastic increase in blood sugar.